Re: Fedora.next Product Branding for Cloud

Le 22/11/2013 19:25, Joe Brockmeier a écrit :
On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 05:16:06PM +0100, H. Guémar wrote:
Hi,

since i might be unable to join the cloud WG meeting, here are my thoughts
about it:

1. Just Enough OS for developping SaaS applications in an agile & devops
fashion :).
I think your response and mine are largely similar, but I don't think
we want to limit to SaaS, do we? If someone wants to develop an
application of any kind in public/private cloud, we want to be able to
be the foundation for that.

My definition of SaaS is here quite large, it include every piece of software that could benefit from elasticity (on-demand software, scale-out applications etc...). It could also be used as a building block for PaaS like OpenShift, Clever Cloud, Heroku etc.

The difference is probably that i'd like to emphasize the devops side, a bare image would bring little value to the existing.

The main idea between having products and Fedora.next is reducing the scope (target, features, etc.) so we could solve Fedora users issues while providing a rock solid experience. SaaS applications is already a large target, i don't think we could bring any value to a larger target.

2. developers *and* operators that develop and maintain SaaS applications
(could be hosted on a cloud, virtualization server, etc...)
Are we talking about the same thing, here? (SaaS)
SaaS is a delivery model, it could be hosted on virtualization servers: from basic kvm/libvirt to full-fledged oVirt or vSphere. Cloud hosting is commonly understood as IaaS/PaaS, but as a developer, most of the time, development and testing is done on bare metal & virtual machines. Having exactely the very same image for development/staging/production environment would be an improvement of our target workflow. We should learn from Vagrant success though it's not-so-good piece of software, does solve an important issue to devops teams.

Best,

jzb
best regards,
H.