"What would you say ya *do* here?"

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010, Peter Robinson wrote:

> > 1. Getting a basic image uploaded and working for anybody (Justin is on
> > this, but maybe could use some help?);
> >
> > 2. Getting a basic image uploaded and working for everybody (which means
> > coordinating a testing account for Fedora people to use free-of-charge,
> > which we have funding for, and then finding actual people to test);
> >
> > 3. Getting that basic image created as part of the Fedora release process
> > (which was discussed at FUDCon, but I don't know if any of those
> > conversations continued);
> >
> > 4. Providing proper tools for people to create their own images, since
> > creation of a custom "spin" is basically an essential activity in the
> > cloud.
>
> I'm happy to help out where I can on all of the above. From the discussion @
> FUDCon I'd add two points to this
>
> 5. A fedora mirror within EC2 so people don't have to pay for updates etc.
> This allows us to provide a very small base image and people can just do
> "yum groupinstall some-service" to get what they want.

I'm pretty sure that Amazon will be happy to help with this, since it's in
their interest.

> 6. The tools and API etc (if they aren't already) for the redhat deltacloud
> stuff.

So I would say that this is Big Goal #2, but I'm afraid we'll get ahead of
ourselves -- my guess is we've got a ton of work to do to nail down Big
Goal #1 first.  Still, this is *definitely* the direction we should be
heading, and if someone wants to jump in on that, I'm certainly happy
about it.

> > It may be that some of this activity is going on already, and that's a
> > large part of what this SIG is about: to find those people and get them
> > talking in one place, away from the clutter of fedora-devel and other
> > lists.? So if you're working on tools that will help with this goal, by
> > all means, speak up.
>
> I've not heard a whisper since the FUDCon discussion and was wondering what
> the status of it was.

Well, I guess this is it.  :)

> > And now, a couple of questions.
> >
> > * For Justin.? How's your current image looking?? Does it work well enough
> > for other folks to try it out?? If not, what's the issue, and can anyone
> > help?
> >
> > * For everyone.? Have you played with EC2 yet?? If not, do you have a
> > side project that could benefit from its use, that furthers the goals of
> > Fedora / free software / etc., and are willing to test our images?? If so,
> > let us know -- we've got an account for this purpose, and can send you the
> > info needed to get started.? Even if we don't have the latest Fedora up
> > yet, there are plenty of images that you can play with to get a sense of
> > how EC2 works.
>
> Briefly, not as much as I would have liked but its on my ToDo list. The
> details to get started would be great, I've got 2 weeks spare in Feb where I
> should be able to get a good look at this.

I'll get that to you soon.

> > * For everyone.? Would an IRC meeting to talk through some of this stuff
> > be useful -- sort of a kickoff where everyone takes an hour out of their
> > life to think about all this -- or should we stick to the mailing list for
> > now?
>
> I'd prefer mailing list discussion where possible. I find it notoriously
> hard to make it to IRC meetings due to other schedules and timezones. With
> list discussion it makes that easier.

--g

--
Computer Science professors should be teaching open source.
Help make it happen.   Visit http://teachingopensource.org.