Re: System no longer bootable after latest update.

>>> What were the messages before that, there could well be a lot of other
>>> things that happen in the boot process prior to that that causes it to
>>> stop there.
>>
>> Before that I got the EFI screen and could select a kernel, but the keyboard is not initialised so the system does respond to the cursor keys at all.
>
> Is it the firmware shipped by Fedora or does it come from elsewhere?

Fedora doesn’t include a spi Version, so I used spi firmware from Armbian late 2020, which is according to Arabian docu  mainline U-Boot. And everything worked since then.

But when the kernel issue arises, the system is already running from NVMe device, isn’t it?

Everything else is plain Fedora. I used arm-installer to copy everything to NVMe instead of SD.

> Which model of Rock Pi 4 is it?
It is the Rock Pi 4a (without wifi), Board revision 1.4 which is the first revision with a soldered SPI module.

> Do you get all the early displayoutput?

I get after the update the same output as with the installation kernel. That is the EFI selection screen, the the display goes blank so some seconds, then the online message in the first line „BootingFedora …, then the display goes blank again for some seconds, and the output as I wrote in my previous mail. The keyboard is with both kernels not operational when the EDI screen is displayed.

> What device is the firmware running off? A cheap USB TTL is
> often useful although I've send patches upstream for numerous devices
> to fix things like keyboard/display.

I have different NVMes: Crucial, WD, transcend. The problem comes up with any of them.

I just installed the F36 distributable on another NVMe and updated just the kernel, with the same result, but a slightly different output:

Started plymouth-start.serie - Show Plymouth Boot Screen.
Started systemd-ask-passwouuuwsts to Plymouth Directory Watch
Readched target paths.target - Path Units.
Readched target basic.target - Basic system
 20.038088] dracut-initqueue[462]: Configuration node devices/filter not found
 20.089369] dracut-initqueue[465]: Configuration node devices/global_filter not found
 20.190685] dracut-initqueue[470]: WARNING: File locking is disabled.
Found device dev-mapper-fe... - /dev/mapper/fedora_fedora-root.
Reached target initrd-root...e.target - Initrd Root Dewvice.

I think I will install it again and exclude the kernel from update and see what happens.

>> Kernel:
>> 15.19.6-200.fc36  default selection and obviously installed by update
>> 15.17.5-300.fc36  I guess the kernel install by installation image
>>
>> It follows the message in 1 line
>> Booting ‚Fedora Linux (5.19.6-200.fc36.aarch64) 36 (Server Edition)‘
>>
>> Displays several seconds, then a screen refresh and just the 4 lines
>
> By "displays several seconds" do you mean kernel output or something else?

After the Line Booting Fedora Linux, the display goes blank for some seconds (no sync according to the display LED) and said lines are displayed.

>>> Does it just hang there? Does it eventually drop you to an emergency shell?
>>
>> Just hanging there, no emergency shell, unfortunately.
>
> I've tried two
>
>> 1 time (out of several tries) I got additional output:
>>
>> 10.951731. Unable zu handle kernel execute from non-executable memory at virtual address (16 x 0)
>>
>> and 27 lines of messages. I was able to take a picture with my phone which I am happy to send you if if helps.

>>> Hard tell tell. Can you start by selecting the previous booting kernel
>>> from the grub2 menu and see if that works. Debugging problems on arm
>>> is no different to debugging on x86.
>>
>> For my case here it was a fresh installation, so there is no loss of data (though of course I'd like it up and running so I can use it productively. It runs my server monitoring software). But I think it is urgent to find the cause and fix it, before other users may be severely impaired.

>>> Fedora is a complex system of software with a lot of moving parts and
>>> a lot of updates frrom F-36 GA -> latest updates.
>>

>> Yes, indeed. But we managed for years now to find such issues before we published an update - at least as far as I remember the updates of all our servers.

>>> You've included a very small part of the update, it shows there's 670
>>> update transactions happening, you've included a random selection
>>> between 240-248, then 251-255 then to  351-354 and then back to the
>>> 250s. Why this selection? I'm guessing in here there's at least a new
>>> kernel. What was the previously booting kernel and what was the one
>>> you were trying to boot?
>>

>> I selected all item with an „unusual“ message expecting one of those being the culprit. But obviously, it is the kernel.
>>
>> I can attach the m2 board to another machine and try to reconfigure grub to use the old kernel, if that helps.
>
> So you're running it off a NVME card?

Yes, with the Armbian SPI as described above

> I've tested my Pinebook Pro which has a NVME in it and is a rk399
> device and it's booting OK with the latest 5.19.6 F-37 kernel.

That's good, So it is hopefully „just“ a problem with Rock Pi and not with a lot of other models, too.

Peter