Re: Wiki claims RPi 4 is not supported

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 7:47 PM Donatom M <donatom.martino@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I just restarted my fedora-arm system on raspberry pi 4 after days of using another system and found that the sound does in fact work (I shut off all devices but my bluetooth speaker in the pavucontrol configuration window -- misconfiguration in pavucontrol likely was the reason I could not get audio to work before).

So I would say that the mainline fedora-ARM aarch64 kernel is functioning pretty well on my system: video works well as does audio, all usb ports work (usb 2 and 3) and I am able to start up on an SSD with no problem. Wifi and bluetooth have been functional out of the box.

The system does take about two minute to boot up. I am using openbox with full xorg capability.

It seems that there is a good case for stating that raspberry pi 4B is supported by the fedora-ARM 64 bit kernel (aarch64) on the Fedora-ARM wiki. Now perhaps things don't work as well on a Fedora Workstation which is very bloated -- I don't know but I do know that on a less demanding system (like openbox), everything seems to be running well.

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 9:21 AM Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 5:14 PM Donatom M <donatom.martino@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Someone on this thread mentioned that Archlinux-ARM uses raspberry pi linux kernel. That might be for the 32 bit version but when you are running 64 bit on the raspberry pi it seems that the kernel is a regular linux kernel for ARM architecture.  [url]  https://kiljan.org/2021/05/28/64-bit-arch-linux-arm-on-a-raspberry-pi-4-model-b-with-8-gb-of-ram-may-2021-update/ [/url]
>
> I bring this up because I believe Fedora ARM could use the same kernel (non-raspberry pi modified) and thereby get all features (audio, etc.) working out of the box.

As the maintainer I've already investigated that, if it's "working"
it's not an upstream kernel as not all things are upstream. One of the
upstream maintainers commented explicitly on that earlier in the
thread. It's not like I don't actually read just about all of the
upstream kernel commits for each cycle to see what changes.