Re: [RaspberryPI 3B] [unicorn Hat] [how to configure spi]

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 9:05 AM RENARD Pierre-Francois
<pfrenard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Alessio,
>

> thanks for your job ! :)
>
> I am using arch aarch64 and not armv7hl, and it is also working with a
> few changes.
>

> 1/ dtb are available into directory /boot/dtb/broadcom ( and not /boot/dtb )
>
>      that's where we have to cp the new dtb file.

Correct, with aarch64 they've moved (thankfully) to putting them in
vendor directories.

> 2/ dts and dtsi seem to be avaible into the same directory as for
> aarch64 I found a "includes" from arm directory.
>
>      am I wrong on this ?

No, the RPi is a bit of a special case in the dt case, the aarch64
basically is a minimal dts that just includes all the ARMv7 dts.

> 3/ I was not able to apply patch bcm283x.dtsi.patch using patch, but I
> was able to apply it "by hand"
>
>      by the way I tried to use command : "patch -p0 < <patchfile>", is
> that the good one ?
>
> 4/ at the end I have the /dev/spidev0.[0.1] files after reboot and all
> tests are OK. :)
>
>     the gpiomem stuff was easy except for the <TAB> into Makefile, I had
> to read it twice :)
>

> 5/ finally I was trying to make unicornhathd work so I tried all the
> stuff from github. https://github.com/pimoroni/unicorn-hat-hd
>
>      dnf install -y python3-pip python3-numpy # numpy is used into examples
>
>      pip3 install unicornhathd (this will download/compile
> python3-spidev that is not package into fedora repos - at least I did
> not find it :) )
>
>      git clone https://github.com/pimoroni/unicorn-hat-hd
>
>      cd  unicorn-hat-hd/examples
>
>      python3 ./demo.py
>
>      and that's it, it works fine !!
>

> 6/ is all this the same for raspberry pi 3B+ for the dtb generation ? I
> guess so but I am not sure. :)

Yes, should be fairly similar across all 3 supported Pis

> 7/ how can we make all this stuff "official" and by default ?

I'm working, as I get the time, to move all the RPi HAT stuff to be
much closer to the way Raspbian works. This will include things like
being able to use config.txt to configure most overlays. There's
somethings that won't ever be the same (we're never going to enable
the legacy gpio interface) but I'm working with various upstreams to
try and mitigate that (eg being able to use RPi.GPIO on distros other
than Raspbian with the new sane interface) but the RPi support is
something I do in my own time and that has been eroded greatly of
late. That being said I think I have the config.txt stuff worked out
and I'm hoping to be able to test it RSN.