Re: Custom image from kickstart

>>> I've become used to using kickstart files to automate my Fedora
>>> installs to VMs and bare-metal x86 hardware.  I'm getting started with
>>> Fedora on ARM and am wondering if there is something similar to create
>>> custom disk images.  The closest I've found is the page on creating ARM
>>> remixes:
>>> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Creating_Remixes>.
>>>
>>> Is that still the way to go, or is there a better approach?
>>
>> It depends a little, ARMv7 or aarch64? The mechanism will work for
>> ARMv7, for aarch64 you'll need to use imagefactory.
>>
>> You can also run the install directly on the device as you can use
>> u-boot to PXE boot and kick off an install using tftp like on x86,
>> depending a little on the device some people will even put u-boot on a
>> small SD card, eg an old 128Mb one from a phone, and then pxe/tftp
>> install to another medium. With F-28 in theory (I'm not sure anyone
>> has had a chance to test it) you can use uEFI/iPXE from u-boot to do a
>> whole lot of other options too.

> what is the best solution between
>
>     using a pre-built image from fedora (it is really easy to dump the image
> on a SD card and plug it into the ARM box :) )
>
>     using a kickstart process to setup it with all customizations you want
> (but kickstart can be tricky to setup/tune at least a few years ago !)

It depends on your use case, for the vast majority of users the
easiest way is to use a pre-canned image and then use a tool like
ansible to configure the machine to their liking. It tends to be more
self contained and easier to deal with multiple different use cases.

> By the way, is there documentation describing all stuffs need to kickstart
> (u-boot for example) and how to setup everything

The setup is basically the same as doing it on x86, u-boot (and uEFI
on u-boot on aarch64), in the vast majority of devices, will
automatically fall back to attempting to do network boot in the case
there's no local OS install to boot.

> on an external flash drive ? (it is easy to move lvm from sd to ssd for
> example)

Why move it? Why not set it up like that from the outset? The process
would be the same as any other architecture/storage combination for
moving data around with LVM, arm is no special case here.