Re: Custom image from kickstart

On 04/27/2018 08:19 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
I've become used to using kickstart files to automate my Fedora
installs to VMs and bare-metal x86 hardware.  I'm getting started with
Fedora on ARM and am wondering if there is something similar to create
custom disk images.  The closest I've found is the page on creating ARM
remixes:
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Creating_Remixes>.

Is that still the way to go, or is there a better approach?
It depends a little, ARMv7 or aarch64? The mechanism will work for
ARMv7, for aarch64 you'll need to use imagefactory.

You can also run the install directly on the device as you can use
u-boot to PXE boot and kick off an install using tftp like on x86,
depending a little on the device some people will even put u-boot on a
small SD card, eg an old 128Mb one from a phone, and then pxe/tftp
install to another medium. With F-28 in theory (I'm not sure anyone
has had a chance to test it) you can use uEFI/iPXE from u-boot to do a
whole lot of other options too.

Peter

what is the best solution between

    using a pre-built image from fedora (it is really easy to dump the image on a SD card and plug it into the ARM box :) )

    using a kickstart process to setup it with all customizations you want (but kickstart can be tricky to setup/tune at least a few years ago !)

By the way, is there documentation describing all stuffs need to kickstart (u-boot for example) and how to setup everything

on an external flash drive ? (it is easy to move lvm from sd to ssd for example)

Fox