Re: Wandboard Quad network dies under load?

> I'm having an issue with two different wandboard quad systems; one is
> running F22, the other is running F23.  When the system is under high
> network load, specifically high transmit load, after a while the network
> just gives up.  Technically it's not VERY high load, only about 2MB/s,
> but it's high transmit load -- high download load seems to be fine as
> far as I can tell.  I know that "gives up" isn't a very technical term,
> but I frankly don't know what else to call it.

Rev B or C?

> * dmesg doesn't say anything about the link going down
> * ifconfig shows the interface still has an IP address
> * arp, however, seems to start failing (and my NFS server has an
>   incomplete arp address)
> * ping doesn't work to anywhere (regardless of the contents of the arp table)
> * DNS doesn't work (obviously -- no packets are coming or going).
>
> I can usually recover by doing:
>
>   nmcli con down "Wired connection 1"
>   nmcli con up "Wired connection 1"
>
> (the 'up' results in the message "Error: Connection activation failed.")
> After that I need to pull the ethernet plug, count to 5-10, and then
> plug it in again.  Then I'll get the messages:
>
> [30540.554006] fec 2188000.ethernet eth0: Link is Down
> [30553.558837] fec 2188000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 1Gbps/Full - flow contro
>
> (sorry for the cut messages; minicom serial console doesn't wrap lines)
>
> After I do this the system has network again.  However it's quite
> frustrating that I have to go through all these hoops.  Note that just
> pulling the network cable by itself does not seem sufficient to reset
> the network.

what happens if you "rmmod fec; sleep 5; modprobe fec" does that have
the same effect as all of the above?

> Is this a hardware problem or a software problem (or a combination of
> the two)?  I've had it happen on this one system three times today; I
> can definitely reliably repeat it (although it does take a couple hours
> until it dies).  It's also happened on another system, but I've not seen
> it happen since I stopped pulling data from it.

If it's the former it should be able to be worked around with the
later. I've not seen it but then I don't use my WBQ for high load. The
i.MX6 onboard NICs do have a through put issue in that they can't do
line speed Gbit, but rather top out around 450mbps (if memory serves)
but that shouldn't affect stability.

Peter