Re: Raspberry Pi 3

On 3/1/16, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If they're aiming it at IoT products, which they seem to be doing:
> 1) dedicated bandwidth to BT/WiFI
> 2) more stable
> 3) cheaper when on board
> 4) generally less problematic
>
>> Much more interesting, IMHO would be the addition of a SATA port AND USB
>> 3.0.
>
> Again of no use for the target market, both USB-3 and SATA are
> expensive from the $ to license the IP and the cost of board
> components

Cypress disagrees wrt usefulness of a USB 3.0 port for IoT
http://www.cypress.com/products/ez-usb-fx3-superspeed-usb-30-peripheral-controller

"USB 3.0 provides a 5 Gbps link that supports uncompressed HD video
transfer and enables applications such as DSC, DVC, webcams, security
cameras, machine vision, medical imaging, and surveillance equipment"

Well, the TI USB 3.0 driver IC costs between $2 and $4 a piece
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?site=us&lang=en&Keywords=SN65LVPE502&stock=1

" not to mention the power use, besides ..."
I get your point wrt maximum power supply over the usb 33.0 bus, BUT
USB 3.0 actually features BETTER power saving than 2.0...

http://www.digikey.com/en/articles/techzone/2013/feb/implementing-usb-30-in-mcu-and-microprocessorbased-systems

"The new protocol also means USB 3.0 devices do not have to remain
powered at all times to answer the host polling. In a link with a USB
3.0 host and peripherals, the peripherals can enter and remain in
low-power states for extended periods"

Oh well... my point only was to stick to the "KISS PRINCIPLE". Deliver
a cheap simple board and let users add functionality to it externally
over USB 3.0 like lego blocks, without complicating its design w
features that the user might not need (I surely couldn't care less
about Bluetooth).

It seems I'll have to shell out the extra bucks needed for one of these puppies
while waiting for the elusive RasPi 4 or RasPi5 w USB 3.0...

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G143452239825

Wonder if Fedora ARM would boot on that at all...
FC