Re: Raspberry Pi 3

>> At some point, I have to wonder if Raspberry Pi is just trolling us
>> with each hardware release.
>
> I just dont understand why they insist on having everything onboard
> (specially wireless) when usb dongles for wifi and BT can be had for a
> couple of dollars. Plus, having those EXTERNALLY means you can update
> to newer specs without switching mainboard.

If they're aiming it at IoT products, which they seem to be doing:
1) dedicated bandwidth to BT/WiFI
2) more stable
3) cheaper when on board
4) generally less problematic

> Much more interesting, IMHO would be the addition of a SATA port AND USB 3.0.
> Then one can hook as many external devices as needed. Want to turn the
> Raspi4 into a gigabit router? just hang a pair of USB 3.0->GigE
> adapters and youre done.

Again of no use for the target market, both USB-3 and SATA are
expensive from the $ to license the IP and the cost of board
components not to mention the power use, besides there's other issues
with the bcm823x design where the bandwidth is about as strong as an
asthmatic ant with heavy shopping. If SATA/usb3/GigE networking is
what you want there's dozens of ARM SBCs that are an order of
magnitude better than a RPi. Basically you get what you pay for....