[fedora-arm] Re: arm-image-installer project (renamed from fedora-arm-installer)

>> Hi All,
>>
>> Just a heads up we've renamed fedora-arm-installer and moved it to a new
>> home.
>>
>> https://pagure.io/arm-image-installer
>

> So what do I download to get this new version?  Last version was a nice rpm.
> I don't see an rpm at this site.

Using "dnf install" this is purely where to contribute new code, not
where to get the output, that is for standard rpm distribution
mechanisms.

>> The rename is so it's more generic so it can be reused by the CentOS
>> ARM project and anyone else who wishes to make use of it.
>

> I hope you are making progess with your colleagues over on Centos-arm for
> this.  I have proposed this approach over there, but on the list, the
> builder was last pushing still to make an image per board.  A unique image
> is needed for RPi2 due to the different kernel, but not the others.  I have
> many a post there claiming how simple this installer approach would be.
> More on this use by Centos belongs on the Centos list, of course.

It is not my job to tell the people contributing to the CentOS ARMv7
project what to do with their images. I personally have more than
enough work to do (more work than I have hours available in a day) on
the Fedora ARM project so I have _ZERO_ interest in getting involved
in another project that duplicates a bunch of that work. I am more
than happy for that project to use the work Fedora has already done
over the past years, the lessons we've learnt to make their paths
easier. I have engaged with a bunch of people and will continue to do
so to answer questions and provide direction and suggestions but the
work is for them to do.

>> It's now hosted on pagure too so you can easily submit enhancements,
>> fixes, documentation pull requests.
>

> I am going to have to remember my FAS account...
>
> For those boards with sata (cuibes, wands?, linksprites?), you can put just
> the uboot on the mSD and the image on a USB connected sata.  It does not
> hurt, it seems, to put the uboot on the sata, but obviously you ONLY want
> the uboot on the mSD.  I did a variant of the script to have a 2nd media]

That's why "contributing" is for, I agree it's a useful use case, but
it's a minor one that not many people wish to do, it can actually be
done here with just the update-uboot script in the package to write
the mSD, and then just write the SATA device with the --target=none
options

> allowed for just the uboot, and sent that to Paul some months back.  I don't
> believe Hans has uboot on NRAND on Cubies working yet.  So a script that
> would take uboot from some local tree to mSD in addition to downloading from
> koji the lastest, might be nice.

Maybe you could contribute a pull request to the project with such a
feature, this isn't a thread to dump a list of features you want
others to do, it's a thread for people who wish to contribute
something other than requests for others.

Peter