Re: Do we have workable Java 1.7.x for aarch64?

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 1:41 PM, Andrew Dinn <adinn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Fenghua & Peter,
>
> On 07/04/15 12:08, Peter Robinson wrote:
>>> I am using openjdk 1.8.0, but in some cases I got core dump, I highly
>>> suspect it’s due to java’s version. Thus I want to try lower version
>>> openjdk. Who can tell me if 1.7.x works well with aarch64? If so where can I
>>> get it? Thanks a lot!
>>
>> No we don't, if you've got issues with openjdk 8 on aarch64 you should
>> report a bug [1] with details of how to reproduce it. The maintainers
>> are responsive. The work done with openjdk7 on aarch64 was small and
>> the real work on the port was done with openjdk8 so you'd have more
>> luck with that anyway
>
> Strictly, Peter's advice is out of date. I back-ported all the relevant
> code we first implemented in JDK8 last year. So we have had a fully
> equivalent JDK7 implementation as of mid-December 2014. So, if you
> really want a fully functional and optimized JDK7 you can at the very
> least build and install one from the sources in the IcedTea2.5 mercurial
> repo on icedtea.classpath.org.

I was referring to Fedora shipping variants, not upstream, this is a
Fedora ARM list afterall ;-)

> I am afraid that I am not sure about the status and availability of
> rpms/tarballs of releases of JDK7 for current versions of RHEL/Fedora.
> Deepak Bhole (Java team manager in cc-list) is better placed to answer
> questions about distribution issues.

Fedora 20 was the last release we shipped OpenJDK7 for and the first
release in which we supported aarch64 was Fedora 21 and hence my point
of us in Fedora only supporting OpenJDK8. If he wants to go and get it
from upstream and build it himself I'm sure the above is fine but I
doubt he wants to do that!