Re: Fedora-Minimal-armhfp-22_Alpha-TC1-sda.raw.xz on Cubietruck

On 02/19/2015 05:16 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 15:56:05 -0500
Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 02/19/2015 01:16 PM, R P Herrold wrote:
On Thu, 19 Feb 2015, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Well I have a few things perhaps of interest.

I have problems with the firstboot setup and root password.  I am
using the installer script and the --norootpass option.  When I am
prompted at the setup, I ignore the setting of the root password.
Fortunately I also did not set my user password and made my user
have admin priv.  Because when I got to login, it wanted a
password for root and I could not figure out what.  In the past I
would just provide 'root' for the login and I was good.  So I
logged in with my user and did a 'sudo passwd root' to set the
root password to what I wanted.
I have to assume systemd is starting something like:

	/bin/bash -i

rather than the former (and familiar) root shell without
login authentication.  The same behaviour may be done under
older initscripts

And put this in /etc/inittab if you want the behavior where it
is not prompted:

1:2345:respawn:/bin/bash -i

Robert -- could you check your system and see, and advise the
list of the results of your examination?
So again the installer script does:

              sudo sed -i 's/root:x:/root::/' /tmp/root/etc/passwd

This results in /etc/passwd entry for root being:

root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

This is from checking before installing the card in the Cubie.  But
after running firstboot, and NOT responding to the 'root password not
set', I see from logging in as me with admin priv:

root:!!$1$oIqdSlOQ$AkrPPHJnLMO2g7CbEklLn1:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

So firstboot is sliding something in for the root password,
overriding the nopassword option in the installer script.

I suppose if I had quit out of the setup, it might have left root
alone...

And what decides if there is the serial console setup or the
graphical config?   The presense of the serial console connection?
you should use initial-setup to configure root password, timezone,
language  and user if desired. the option in the installer script is
for use in cases where you can't access initial-setup.  I would suggest
that going forward you just use initial-setup as that is how things are
designed to be done.

But then I have to figure out a password that is accepted by the new very strict rules!

Passwords that in the past scored strong are now weak.  Etc.

If you skip the initial-setup password and do it with passwd, you can 'get by' with the old rules.

I actually think there is an error in the password strenght logic. I suspect it is looking at the text and saying, boy there are words there so it is crackable. Even if there are 6 words, each of different length. I know this as the 6 word one I tried got flagged as weak.