Re: Fedora-Minimal-armhfp-22_Alpha-TC1-sda.raw.xz on Cubietruck

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 15:56:05 -0500
Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 02/19/2015 01:16 PM, R P Herrold wrote:
> > On Thu, 19 Feb 2015, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> >
> >> Well I have a few things perhaps of interest.
> >>
> >> I have problems with the firstboot setup and root password.  I am
> >> using the installer script and the --norootpass option.  When I am
> >> prompted at the setup, I ignore the setting of the root password.
> >> Fortunately I also did not set my user password and made my user
> >> have admin priv.  Because when I got to login, it wanted a
> >> password for root and I could not figure out what.  In the past I
> >> would just provide 'root' for the login and I was good.  So I
> >> logged in with my user and did a 'sudo passwd root' to set the
> >> root password to what I wanted.
> > I have to assume systemd is starting something like:
> >
> > 	/bin/bash -i
> >
> > rather than the former (and familiar) root shell without
> > login authentication.  The same behaviour may be done under
> > older initscripts
> >
> > And put this in /etc/inittab if you want the behavior where it
> > is not prompted:
> >
> > 1:2345:respawn:/bin/bash -i
> >

> > Robert -- could you check your system and see, and advise the
> > list of the results of your examination?
>
> So again the installer script does:
>
>              sudo sed -i 's/root:x:/root::/' /tmp/root/etc/passwd
>

> This results in /etc/passwd entry for root being:
>
> root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
>
> This is from checking before installing the card in the Cubie.  But
> after running firstboot, and NOT responding to the 'root password not
> set', I see from logging in as me with admin priv:
>
> root:!!$1$oIqdSlOQ$AkrPPHJnLMO2g7CbEklLn1:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
>
> So firstboot is sliding something in for the root password,
> overriding the nopassword option in the installer script.
>
> I suppose if I had quit out of the setup, it might have left root
> alone...
>
> And what decides if there is the serial console setup or the
> graphical config?   The presense of the serial console connection?

you should use initial-setup to configure root password, timezone,
language  and user if desired. the option in the installer script is
for use in cases where you can't access initial-setup.  I would suggest
that going forward you just use initial-setup as that is how things are
designed to be done.

Dennis