Re: Fedora Server product delivery

----- Original Message -----

> On Thu, 29 May 2014 13:13:19 -0700
> Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > So, I wish we'd noticed this sooner, but hacking at the release
> > criteria today I happened to notice a bit of a problem in the Fedora
> > Server product planning.
> >
> > The Server PRD states
> > (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Server/Product_Requirements_Document#Delivery_Mechanisms
> > ):
> >
> > "Fedora Server will produce two main installation resources, a
> > netinstall image and an offline install iso image that allows one to
> > install and configure featured roles offline. "
> >
> > the Server tech spec states
> > (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Server/Technical_Specification#Supported_Architectures_and_Install_Media
> > ):
> >
> > "Fedora Server will run on and provide install media for i686, x86_64,
> > and armv7hl servers.
> >
> > There will be two official install media for the Fedora Server
> >
> >     A network installation media (either a traditional netinst.iso or
> > a boot.fedoraproject.org style)
> >     A local installation media providing the default package set as
> > well as any featured roles that are meaningfully installed without a
> > network connection.
> >         The local installation media will be allowed a maximum size to
> > fit on a 4.0GB USB device.
> >         The local installation media can be pointed at network
> > resources to make available a larger package set."
> >
> > So...we're planning to release Server with ARM as a primary supported
> > arch, but so far we'd only planned to do two traditional install media
> > (a netinst image and a DVD-type 'trad installer plus packages' image).
> > Fedora ARM releases so far have emphasized disk image-type release
> > media much more strongly than installer release media, and I believe
> > the ARM installer media only work at all on one particular ARM
> > platform.
>
> I need to work on some patches for anaconda, but the plan is that with
> the changes I've been working on for u-boot that anaconda will be able
> to just work on most arm systems. simply that is only a pxe tree
> install.

I've been successful installing Rawhide on the Wandboard and Cubietruck
using the pxe boot images copied to microsd and doing a net install.
Works great and is much more flexible than the images.

The Beaglebones do not seem to have enough ram for anaconda to run, and
the Pandaboard currently has an issue with the network- drops to dracut
when trying to pull down some files over the network at the beginning
of the installation.

The Trimslice has not yet been the beneficiary of Dennis's U-Boot work, but
once that is added it should also work with an install type image.

Paul