Re: Best hardware for Fedora/ARM Audio "Server"?

>>> So thanks, all.  I think I'll order a Wandboard Solo to test this out.
>>> I can always select different hardware later, or upgrade to the Dual or
>>> Quad if I find I need more CPU power.  But audio processing doesn't
>>> really require lots of CPU.  I was able to do basic DSP functions on my
>>> 8-bit 6502-based Atari 800 back in the mid-1980s, with only 48K of RAM.
>>> I'm sure 512MB on an ARM can do much better, provided there is
>>> sufficient design of the board so we don't get electrical interference.
>>
>> Depending on the form factor you are looking for, there are
>> ARM boards out there with PCI/PCIe slots. You could get one
>> of those and use a PCI/PCIe sound card in it. It would be a
>> lot more expensive, though.
>>
>> On the cheap, there are always USB audio options. A USB
>> sound dongle can be had for about £2, and you could plug
>> that into any ARM device featuring a USB port (i.e. most
>> of them these days).
>
> Do you have a reference for these USB sound dongles (that are also
> supported by Linux/ARM)?  I've not found anything that inexpensive.

If they use the USB sound standard we support them. I suspect they
should just work, if they don't and they work on an x86 install it's a
bug and we can deal with it.

> I also wonder how hard it will be to build Shairport?  I suspect there
> isn't already an RPM for it.  *ponders actually signing up again for a
> fedora account to donate the SPEC if I have to write one*

Not sure about Shairport but there's a project that supports the old
Logitech Squeezebox stuff on both ARM and x86 Fedora.

http://communitysqueeze.org/

While the cape support for the BBone is not quite there yet with the
new rev of the BBBlack with an audio cape it might get you what you
want in a small package.

http://elinux.org/CircuitCo:Audio_Cape_RevB

Peter