Re: Best hardware for Fedora/ARM Audio "Server"?

On 2014-05-15 15:46, Derek Atkins wrote:
Hi,

Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

IIRC DreamPlug also has optical audio port.

True, but it's a v5, isn't it?  That's not supported at all.

ARMv6 isn't directly supported by Fedora, either, so the
point is somewhat moot.

There is a D2Plug (2nd generation DreamPlug), which also has
audio, but with the CPU clocked at 2/3 of the old DreamPlug
it might actually be slower - but it is an ARMv7.

http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-d2plugdetails.aspx

One thing to consider is CPU generation. Don't know about Wandaboard,
but Pi is ARMv6 and Trimslice is ARMv7.

AFAIK support for everything before ARMv7 has been dropped from Fedora.

Yes, but there is PiDora, which is a respin for v6.

If you're going to look at respins the field opens up a bit,
I guess.

However you're
right that something like the Wandboard is more powerful.  Looks like I
can get a Wandboard Solo + Case + Power for about $100, not quite double
the cost of the RPi for about 2x the performance.

Indeed. Do you have a form factor preference, though?
Most solutions like this have some uglyness associated, e.g.
an external power brick. D2Plug is a single brick, just
plug into power socket. But performance could conceivably
be an issue.

Look at:  http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=cubieboard

For people that have built cases for Cubieboard2 and particularly:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:151160

I am thinking this for a NAS etc box.

If you go with the Cubietruck, the Ewell case posted on cubieboard.org
not only supports the 2.5 drive, but also a battery if you want!

I'm specifically looking for single-use boxes here.  It would be *nice*
if I could get one box to drive multiple audio zones, but if they are
cheap enough then having one box per zone would be fine.  But I'm not
looking for NAS or anything else today (actually I plan to build a large
multi-TB NAS server, but it's not going to be ARM-based).

ARM based multi-TB NAS is actually quite doable:

http://www.altechnative.net/2014/02/23/qnap-ts-421-review-modification-and-redsleeve-linux/

I have it running with 4x4TB HGST drives and ZFS (fuse) RAIDZ2.

So thanks, all.  I think I'll order a Wandboard Solo to test this out.
I can always select different hardware later, or upgrade to the Dual or
Quad if I find I need more CPU power.  But audio processing doesn't
really require lots of CPU.  I was able to do basic DSP functions on my
8-bit 6502-based Atari 800 back in the mid-1980s, with only 48K of RAM.
I'm sure 512MB on an ARM can do much better, provided there is
sufficient design of the board so we don't get electrical interference.

Depending on the form factor you are looking for, there are
ARM boards out there with PCI/PCIe slots. You could get one
of those and use a PCI/PCIe sound card in it. It would be a
lot more expensive, though.

On the cheap, there are always USB audio options. A USB
sound dongle can be had for about £2, and you could plug
that into any ARM device featuring a USB port (i.e. most
of them these days).

Gordan