Re: Cheap board comparison

On 2014-02-11 15:34, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
W dniu 11.02.2014 15:58, Gordan Bobic pisze:
Well, one of my long time dream is to have an arm based hacker laptop
that I have printed (CNC whatever) and designed, and can use with my
beloved Fedora - of course when upgrade comes, simply I replace the
complete board - and I have new system. Sadly this is only a dream
yet.

If I would like to have normal-ish multitasking (not so intensive
one), that surely requires more than 1 gig ram. I don't have huge
needs, just a silent hacked laptop that based on arm and doesn't want
to die when I open a Firefox, or bunch of libreoffice docs that I
usually travel with, and of course can hack on ARM.

Maybe I'm missing a something, but it sounds very much like what
you are after is actually a Chromebook (Samsung or HP, based on
Exynos A15). I have one and it does all that and more quite
effortlessly.

I suggest Samsung one. Both lack any community but for this one we have
few developers in Fedora community.

I haven't tried the HP one but my understanding is that internally they
are virtually identical.

I understand what you mean about the lack of community, though. The
Toshiba AC100 had a huge Linux community across multiple Linux
distributions spring up around it, yet commercially it was a massive
failure. It makes me wonder if maybe the reason why it has such a
huge community following is because it took so much effort to get
it to work fully with Linux (it shipped with Android). I still use
mine fairly regularly, mainly when I need to do some more serious
work because the keyboard and touchpad on it are vastly better than
the Chromebooks. Linking big builds in 500MB of RAM can be a little
uncomfortable, though.

Gordan