Re: Fwd: decent reasonably-priced armhf system with sata, gigabit ethernet, dual-core processor and 2gb of RAM

Hi,

On 10/20/2013 12:40 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:

<snip>

At the moment I believe the best bet for this sort of support will be
the Allwinner SOCs (and I never thought I'd be typing that) and we'll
work with Hans to ensure his remix is usable and that we support as
much as possible upstream to make his life as easy as possible.

Allow me to jump in here :) Now that we've a basically working kernel
based on 3.4 android sources, the linux-sunxi community is recently focussing
more and more on upstream work so we are slowly getting to a point were
using allwinner devices with an upstream kernel may be feasible. This will
likely be like the early trimslice days, so no video output support, but
lan support is already in place upstream and usb support is on its way.

The big remaining issue upstream is mmc / sdcard support, but I've good
hopes there too.

Once that is in place users will basically be able to choose:

1) Use plain Fedora, which will hopefully eventually support kvm on
the cortex A7 (this requires using an upstream kernel), which means
loosing things like video output, audio in/out, etc. (for now).

2) Use a linux-sunxi kernel, which means almost all peripherals will
work, but no kvm support.

I hope to be able to start working on upstream allwinner support soon-ish,
I'm more or less done with my work on the 3.4 kernel, everything just
works there now (more or less). But I've been quite busy recently with
other stuff.

Regards,

Hans