Re: Fwd: decent reasonably-priced armhf system with sata, gigabit ethernet, dual-core processor and 2gb of RAM

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 07:31:20PM +0100, luke.leighton wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 02:30:15PM +0100, luke.leighton wrote:
> >> i posted this to the debian-arm list but it occurred to me that you
> >> guys might appreciate having a decent desktop-style system as well as
> >> something with enough RAM to do compiles of some of the larger
> >> packages without needing to run into swap space, as well.
> >>
> >> joe (posting on arm-netbooks) has managed to get a sub-17-second boot
> >> to desktop out of the A20 when it's matched with 1gbyte 800mhz DDR3
> >> RAM and a decent SATA SSD: now imagine what happens when that's 2gbyte
> >> 1333mhz DDR3 RAM :)
> >
> > I was looking at the A20 a while back.  This has a Cortex-A7
> > -compatible processor, right?
>
>  strictly speaking this is the wrong question: it *is* a Cortex A7.
> if it was "compatible" that would imply that it was some sort of
> clone, which it's not.  allwinner are licensees of ARM cores,
> including the Cortex A7.
>
> >  Does it do hardware virtualization,
>
>  http://www.arm.com/products/processors/cortex-a/cortex-a7.php
>
>  apparently yes.  which is pretty amazing.

OK.  A bit of background about why I (keep) asking about this:

We're looking for a development platform on which people can do KVM,
libvirt, virt-*, libguestfs, etc.

The criteria are basically:

 - cheap

 - available to purchase now in many countries

 - ordinary human beings can install Fedora & make KVM work

The Samsung Chromebook is kinda the default now.  It's not especially
cheap, although not too expensive.  However the main problem is that
HYP mode is crippled out of the box, and enabling it can't be done by
regular humans.

I'm currently testing the ODROID-XU.  Not with any success, it has to
be said -- too much peculiar hardware, like uncommon HDMI connectors,
homebrew eMMC, and incompatible UART -- I need to visit an electrical
shop before I can find out why it's refusing to boot.

I think I'm in a bit of a peculiar position because I care a lot more
about having a serial port or a VGA port, than having a powerful GPU.

Rich.