Re: Who's using Kirkwood?

On 10/11/2012 11:03 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:

The x86 port still supports a Pentium, I don't see any reason to drop
support for kirkwood.  Is it really that much extra effort?

It is surprisingly quite a lot of effort.

Oh?  Could you elaborate on that?  What "quite a lot of effort" does it
take?

   From my experience of rolling a similar distribution, if the kernel code
works as it's supposed to, a day or so of tweaking the configs, followed
by
about a day of compiling (in a 1.2GHz Kirkwood).

If there are issues? Much longer because the compile takes so long.

I don't have 2 days to spare to deal with that. If someone else does
that is absolutely fabulous. I'm yet to see them actually step up to
the plate and do the work. Clearly you're not interested in doing any
work what so ever, I've not actually seen a contribution from you at
all.

I've had an issue with the attitude for pursuing the bleeding edge in Fedora
for a while - that's why I decided to roll a different distribution.

That's fine, you're free to take your toys along with your opinions
and play in what ever sand pit you wish.

Sure. I'm also happy to also invite others who like my sandpit better to come play in it, too.

When most of your bug reports expire due to the release running EOL it
rather puts a downer on the motivation to bother contributing with the goal
posts moving so fast at the expense of stability.

Do your bugs get fixed any quicker in your sandpit? No, unless you fix
them yourself. Same outcome really!

Sort of - but at least it removes the pretense that the distro maintainers care.