Re: Fedora 13 ARM Beta3 Release

On 2011-05-12 10:35, Paul Whalen wrote:
> We are again asking for feedback as we prepare for a final compose of
> Fedora 13 for ARM, and put all our efforts behind Fedora 14. Feedback
> can be forward to us via the mailing list ï arm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm new to the Fedora ARM world; my PandaBoard just arrived a couple
weeks ago and I soon had Fedora 13 Beta 2 running on it.

Overall, the userspace in F13 Beta 2 has been great, and I'll be
updating to Beta 3 right away!  Thanks for the hard work!

However, I found the process rather confusing with respect to the
kernel.  The root filesystem was pretty straightforward, but it wasn't
clear to me where I was supposed to get a kernel from.  Should I be
building my own?  Or is there a repository out there with ARM kernels?
Some kernels support running a GUI but are short on RAM, others maximize
the RAM but are limited to serial consoles.  Which one should I use?

After a lot of reading [1][2][3][4][5], I ended up using the kernel at
   http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/arm/kernel/pandaboard/

This kernel doesn't appear to support SELinux or iptables, though, so
I'm going to give David Marlin's kernel[6] a try next.

Out of curiosity, I tried Ubuntu 11.04 to compare and it was
surprisingly easy to install: just dd the image to an SD card and boot.
  The image includes a kernel and the necessary partition layout, and it
automatically resizes the root filesystem partition to fill up the SD
card on first boot (which is slow, but that's the SD card's fault).

Thanks again!
Jeff

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Using
[2] http://pandaboard.org/content/resources/getting-started