Re: Fedora 8 libgcc and libstdc++

Kedar Sovani wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-arm-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fedora-arm-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of bill
Sent: 23 June 2009 22:22
To: fedora-arm@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  Fedora 8 libgcc and libstdc++

I've just read this thread:
www.mail-archive.com/fedora-arm@xxxxxxxxxx/msg00117.html
and it fixed my yum, too.  I'm using Fedora 8 (also on an
i.MX31/armv6l
board) and am also pleased with *this great repo.

I have an issue, though.  When installing certain RPMS from the
repo,
they fail because of a dependency on libgcc_s.so.1.  I would
expect to
find this library in a package called "libgcc", but no such
package
seems to exist.  I queried all packages in the repo and none
claimed to
have such a file.  I also encounter a similar problem with
libstdc++.so.6.

I've gotten around it by making my own RPMS for these two
libraries, by
borrowing libraries from my ARM board developer's kit, but I'd
like to
do this the proper way.  What am I missing?

If necessary, I can post yum/rpm errors (and anything else).

The rpm is available in the updates repository of f8, http://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/linux/arm/fedora/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/arm/libgcc-4.1.2-36.fa1.armv5tel.rpm

And also the libstdc++ rpm. Probably your update repository is not enabled?

For F8, the base packages were not built (skipped) when an update was available for them.

Are there any specific packages/functionality that you are looking for, that is not available in F10, but in F8?
Thanks,
-bill

HTH,
Kedar.

*
ftp://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/linux/arm/fedora/pub/fedora/linux/re
leases/8/Everything/arm/os/Packages

Ahh...the Update repo. i thought i had checked there. I don't have the box on the internet, i have a mirrored copy of the F8 arm release on the local LAN, but I neglected to bring down the Update repo, too. I will be doing that today...

After more noodling around, I noticed that the libs were in the F8 rootfs image, as well, so I could always have used those initially. I didn't use this rootfs for my base image.

I am using F8 because I am supporting an in-house software suite that has F8 source RPMS already made for it. I have not done a lot of cross-compiling of source RPMS, so I am first just trying to get F8 and the in-house software to run on the board. Once this load is tested, and I am confident that the board performs adequately, I will consider moving to F10. But I'm in no hurry - the software has been performing just fine on F8 for a year now. It is mostly written in Perl and uses a lot of 3rd party Perl modules. Also, very reliable network and USB stacks are critical, so a stable, moderately recent kernel is of utmost importance. The software needs to run on the ARM platform as well as the i386 platform simultaneously, so keeping the OS as similar as possible on the two platforms is desirable. Is there any compelling reason you can think of that might shift my thinking?

At any rate, so far, I have run across no other RPM packages that seem to be missing from the F8 repo - it has been very reliable, except for that one hiccup (which was my fault).

Thanks much, Kedar.
-bill