Re: donations to organizations that violate the Code of Conduct

On 19/10/2020 21:57, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> Ar 10/19/20 3:49 PM, scríobh Daniel Pocock:
>>> You could take that up with Red Hat. It's not relevant to Fedora.
>> It is a bit like Coronavirus.
>>
>> You can't just say "let's eliminate infections in Fedora but we don't
>> have to test the Red Hat employees"
>>
>> Achieving the excellent standards that people aim for requires a
>> consistent approach across organizations, especially when Red Hat and
>> Fedora are so close.
>
> Taking issue with an organization that is *two* jumps away from Fedora
> (Fedora => Red Hat => FSFE) is *not* the same as taking issue with an
> organization that is *one* jump away and directly related (Fedora => Red
> Hat.) If you have concerns about Red Hat's involvement with FSFE, then
> Red Hat is the appropriate organization to address.
>
> Your rationale would apply if FSFE was not two hops away. In the same
> way, to continue your analogy - under pandemic guidance in a number of
> regions and countries, if you were in *direct* contact with an infected
> individual (*one* hop away), you must quarantine, but you do not have to
> quarantine if you were in contact with an individual who was in direct
> contact with an infected individual (*two* hops away.) That is how
> contact tracing works.

My metaphor was valid but a technical analysis doesn't feel helpful.

When it comes to leadership, people look at the big picture.

For example, if your doctor tells you to stop smoking and then you see
him smoking outside the pub, it undermines what he told you.  He can't
just say "I'm at the pub so its off topic now"

Regards,

Daniel