Re: Council policy proposal: withdrawing support from events

Thanks for the elaboration, Ben, it's much appreciated.

I think the clarification that the Fedora Council already has the
ability to withdraw funding and forbid the use of Fedora trademarks
does help put this into some perspective, but, despite the good intent
I am still genuinely dubious of how this one will be used; I'll try to
expand on why that is.

First, I think we may be in some agreement that the vagueness of the
wording on this is frustrating.  Whether the relationship is severed
for kupper picking or cat juggling, I think while well intended,
without explicit guidelines on how these determinations are made, at
the peak of the cancel culture era, this can only harm.

Who will determine whether said keynote speaker actually picked kuppies
or juggled cats?  What if they didn't and you announce why you severed
and it was a rumour from a jealous competitor or career rival?  How
would that impact that person's career?  What about their mental
health?  I can't tell you how many times I've had to read emails about
people I work with, or people I collaborate with who are being targeted
in this way.  People are vicious to each other in the tech scene
sometimes.

I'll say it again.  We're at the peak of the cancel culture era. Cancel
culture is misguided (we're sorry, RMS).  This type gathering is
especially targeted by social engineering campaigns, often with
activist intent, and it often destroys peoples' careers and personal
lives unnecessarily.  Why open yourselves up to having this mechanism
be used as a lever to pull like that?  People targeted by these kinds
of campaigns are assessed for vulnerable connections.  This would be
one of them.  There's a resource assessment.  This is a resource.

In that instance, I think we can confidently agree this needs more
design around it to ensure it is executed with empathy, compassion, and
even a minimal assurance of truth to avoid the kinds of problems the
PSF has to deal with.

I think we can visit how this is intended to be used quite a bit, but
when defining organizational policy, it has to be designed to avoid
abuse as well -- or it will be abused and it will be an external party
that is abused.

Ethics aside, how do we ensure that we don't violate the usc's commerce
clause, contractual obligations, or even libel law?  Posting the reason
for the severance could be the difference between grounds for recourse
or not by injured parties.  From that angle this could actually open up
the Fedora Project to liability.  What if Bob wasn't really juggling
cats but a contributor who didn't like what Bob said on IRC finally
found an opening worth taking and decided to rally up the council and
spoke convincingly?

If we're determining whether to announce why we sever, I only see
either it being abused, it accidentally damaging people due to a
misunderstanding, or other general harm that outweighs any good it
could cause.

But let me go back to the compassion angle.  What if Bob *did* juggle
cats.  What if he got caught red handed and just hadn't realized, and
grew to be a better person in a few years.  Well, he can't, he's
homeless because that publication destroyed his life.

Cancel culture is sick.  It destroys.  It does not help.  It doesn't
feel that way to people who participate in it.  This is an angle needed
to foster a community.

Not the IBM community.  The Fedora Community.  You've built a wonderful
thing, here.  It is different, and it needs to stay different.  If
IBM's culture were what Fedora needed, it wouldn't have needed to be
purchased by it.  I think we all know that.  Preserve the Fedora
culture.  And don't damage people for a cause.  Believe me, it's hard
sometimes.

I understand this desire more than you might be aware of.

-C

Who is going to decide whether this person kicked a puppy