Re: [Review request] Git forge requirements

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 9:32 AM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 9:27 AM Jean-Baptiste Holcroft
> <jean-baptiste@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > "As an ISV developer who contributes to Fedora, I can fork a dist-git
> > repo via mirroring, make changes, and submit them back to Fedora as
> > applicable so that I can contribute to Fedora."
> > would become:
> > "As a Fedora contributor, I can fork a dist-git repo via mirroring, make
> > changes, and submit them back to the maintainer as applicable so that I
> > can contribute to packages."
> >
> > If you are an ISV contributing to Fedora, then you are a Fedora
> > contributor.
>
> Makes sense to me. I kept them separate because Neal made a point of
> listing them separately in his post on devel. Neal, is there a nuance
> that I'm missing between these cases?

The nuance is usually that ISVs often are forking packages and
maintaining their own fixes without being a regular contributor to
Fedora. Sometimes that includes just maintaining personal branches in
forks in pagure, other times it's on a separate server. I mentioned
the *via mirroring* to distinguish from the normal fork+submit+forget
case, because there's a slightly unusual concern in that persistent
trees might be maintained. I wanted to highlight that we have a path
and workflow for handling integration of those fixes, and we should
keep having that.

This is often the case for me as an ISV person (rather than Fedora
contributor person). And I'm aware of several others that operate this
way.