Re: [Review request] Git forge requirements

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 09:03:44AM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 02:39:13PM -0500, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > 1. As a Fedora contributor, I want the git forge to be self-hosted so that
> >    Fedora is not dependent on third parties
>
> I don't think this is a requirement. In fact, I think a hosted solution
> would be preferable if it can fill all of our needs. We, as Fedora Project,
> should be focusing our expertise on distro-building, and I'd rather free up
> the infrastructure team to work on other things.
>
> However, I think it's important that if we choose a hosted solution, we have
> a clear migration path _out_, and that includes not just the bare git repo
> but metadata and all the other features like issues and pull requests and
> comments.
>
> We've already migrated source RPM version control systems twice (from CVS to
> dist-git to dist-git-with-pagure), and project repos and issue tracking from
> Trak to Pagure. There's no reason to suppose any migration now is the last.

Just a small correction here, there was no migration when we put pagure on the
top of dist-git. Repos didn't move nor the tooling that packagers are using.

> >    12.
> >    As anyone, I want the URI to the archive (tar.xz, tar.bz2, etc)
> >    corresponding to various code states (commit/tag/release/fork…) to be
> >    regular and stable (ideally, identical to the Pagure URIs to avoid
> >    reimplementing existing automation) so that I can point to point-in-time
> >    snapshots of the repository.
>
> This feature seems key for possibly moving to or adding a "source git"
> approach.

The source git idea, as I understand it, is about using the exploded git repo
and generate a tarball locally, so not relying on the forge hosting the repo.

> > 15. As a Fedora user, I want to easily create pull requests to any
> >    dist-git repo so that I can make contributions to repos that I am not a
> >    maintainer of.
>
> And this too is something that we were *planning* to get with Pagure but
> which (unless something has changed) we aren't actually at yet. (You need to
> be an approved packager already in order to do this.)

That is something we could get from pagure if we had made a migration from how
dist-git has been originally set-up with an account per packager instead of the
one account for all that all forges use these days (including pagure.io).
But we didn't want to impact the packagers' work and thus never migrated away
from this old setup and puts us in a corner for this.

Pierre