Re: A new vision statement for Fedora

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 09:24:14AM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> A few years ago, the Fedora Council updated the Fedora mission statement.
> The result is functional but not particularly inspiring. It talks about what
> we’re doing, but not much about the why. So, this year, we worked on a new
> vision statement to serve as the proverbial “banner on a hilltop” that we
> can use to rally our existing community and to attract new contributors.
>
> Our draft is at:
>
> https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/lets-write-a-new-vision-statement-for-fedora/
>
> We need your feedback and help in crafting a final version. Please reply
> here in this thread to keep discussion in one place. We'd like to come to a
> decision on this in Februrary.

there was already great feedback in this thread. Here is my proposal
based on the original vision, the feedback and my thoughts:

"Free and open-source software makes live better. We envision everyone
benefiting from the free and open-source software they need to have the
best life. The Fedora Project provides a safe space for inclusive,
welcoming and open-minded communities to build and distribute this
software."

Some annotations:
- "open-minded" is the adjective that should mean that we encourage
  experimentation.
- This vision also focuses on actual benefits for people and not on the
  software just for its own sake
- In the original proposal, "will be" in the last sentence implied to me
  that Fedora does not follow this vision but only in a distant future
  when it will be a reference.

What are your thoughts?

Kind regards
Till