Re: A new vision statement for Fedora

Hi, Matthew,

I am going to disagree with this change.

First of all, i think this new message looks hostile, especially this part: "The Fedora Project will be a reference for everyone who shares this vision", which reads as "If you share the vision, you must be in Fedora".

But even it reworded I think the root of this disagreement lies in the perception, what the vision statement supposed to do.

It seems you are trying to make it sound more appealing or exciting. As you see it as a way to invite new people.

But mission statement or vision is different from a marketing talking point. It is not what attracts attention or curiosity, it is what binds us together to do a specific thing.

And I don't see that thing in the proposed mission statement.

It is a hand wavy proclamation that says that Fedora Project's ultimate goal is the World Peace and Prosperity. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely support the goal :) But what makes Fedora to be Fedora is the way how exactly we are trying to help to reach this goal.

And it should be part of our vision to propose this way.

The "How" part can change over time as the Project itself grows and changes, but it should be there. It is what holds us together, and provides the common foundation.

---

Moreover, I have an alternative proposal [1] which I haven't got a lot of feedback yet.

It maybe worded differently, but in short, I'd like to see the "Integrate First" statement added to our core values, somewhere next to the Upstream First thing.

I think the ability to communicate and collaborate (and integrate) is that missing piece that Peace and Prosperity goal struggles with right now. Together with the definition of what the "to integrate" means.

And I prefer to see Fedora's mission not to try and take over the world, but to fill in this gap, based on previous successful experience over many years, but also together with finding new ways, new workflows and even new definitions for it.

[1] https://pagure.io/Fedora-Council/tickets/issue/280