Re: Are working groups subprojects?

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 11:32:13AM +0000, Allan Day wrote:
> As far as I'm aware, there are four Fedora Working Groups (Workstation,
> Server, IoT, CoreOS), each of which is responsible for a Fedora Edition.
> These have their home pages on the wiki [1, 2, 3, 4]. However, these pages
> don't seem to be advertised anywhere, and I'd like to try and increase
> their exposure, so that people can find the WGs more easily.
>
> One possibility here would be to add the WGs to the list of subprojects
> [5]. However, it isn't clear to me whether a WG is a subproject or not.
> Would it be OK to add the WGs to the list of subprojects?

The short answer is: yes, that'd be good.

The long answer is: at our Council meeting last year we agreed to simplify
the previous terminology of SIG, WG, Subproject, Team, Committee... to just
"all of these things are Teams" (and you can use whatever label you like
better if yo prefer to still be a WG or SIG). As part of this, we intended
to replace that page with

* https://teams.fedoraproject.org/discover/search?order_by=-total_activity_last_month

which has the advantage of being automatic and showing activity -- a big
problem with the wiki is that not only do new things not get added but
things which have gone dormant are still listed (for example, "Fedora
Videos" is not active).

Unfortunately, we hit some snags with https://teams.fedoraproject.org/ and
it's not clear that it's really the best path forward. Candidly, once we got
to that point, then the whole project of "we should fix this project
communication issue" kind of slipped into limbo.

I still do want to get that worked out, but we just haven't gotten to it. So
your help in updating that wiki page is definitely appreciated.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>