Red Hat, IBM, and Fedora

Today marks a new day in the 26-year history of Red Hat. IBM has
finalized its acquisition of Red Hat, which will operate as a distinct
unit within IBM.

What does this mean for Red Hat’s participation in the Fedora Project?

In short, nothing.

Red Hat will continue to be a champion for open source, just as it
always has, and valued projects like Fedora that will continue to play
a role in driving innovation in open source technology. IBM is
committed to Red Hat’s independence and role in open source software
communities. We will continue this work and, as always, we will
continue to help upstream projects be successful and contribute to
welcoming new members and maintaining the project.

In Fedora, our mission, governance, and objectives remain the same. Red
Hat associates will continue to contribute to the upstream in the same
ways they have been.

We will do this together, with the community, as we always have.

If you have questions or would like to learn more about today’s news, I
encourage you to review the materials below. For any questions not
answered here, please feel free to contact us. Red Hat CTO Chris Wright
will host an online Q&A session in the coming days where you can ask
questions you may have about what the acquisition means for Red Hat and
our involvement in open source communities. Details will be announced
on the Red Hat blog.

* Press release: https://www.redhat.com/en/about/press-releases/ibm-closes-landmark-acquisition-red-hat-34-billion-defines-open-hybrid-cloud-future
* Blog from Chris Wright: https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/red-hat-and-ibm-accelerating-adoption-open-source
* FAQ: https://community.redhat.com/blog/2019/07/faq-for-communities/

Regards,

Matthew Miller, Fedora Project Leader

Brian Exelbierd, Fedora Community Action and Impact Coordinator

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>