Re: Council policy proposal: modify election eligibility

Hi,

in general this proposal appears to me to be over regulating things.

On Thu, Jun 06, 2019 at 04:58:36PM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 4:49 PM Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > What if they hold pre-existing positions? Is this just to cover someone
> > unexpectedly winning more than one election where they only wanted one
> > of the multiple positions?
>
> Good question. The intent is to not have people serving on other
> elected bodies while they're on the Council (except for, e.g. the
> FESCo representative on the council). If someone is currently on one
> of those bodies (e.g. if they were elected in the F98 cycle and ran
> for Council in the F99 cycle), I wouldn't want to force them to resign
> only to lose the election, but I would want them to resign the other
> position if they were elected.
>
> Maybe something like this would better capture it:
>     Candidates for an elected Council seat cannot be candidates for
> seats on other elected bodies (e.g. FESCo and Mindshare Committee)
> during the same election cycle.

There are already not enough candidates most of the time. Since there is
always only one seat up for election for Council and it would be sad to
loose good candidates for other elected bodies because they want to take
their chances for the Council. IMHO it would be enough to ask them not
to accept the seat at another body if someone wins for different bodies.
But since it is not really a problem in practice, it seems to me that
our time would be better spent with other things than discussing a
policy that has only a limited practical effect.

>     Candidates elected to a Council seat who are currently serving on
> another elected body must resign their previous position.

How about making this a recommendation instead of a strict requirement?
Another question: What about elected bodies in other organizations? What
about other areas of participation just as packaging or being an
Ambassador? IMHO it should be the call of the community member what to
commit for.

Kind regards
Till