Re: Packager Experience objective proposal

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 7:54 AM Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> * Rawhide gating and increasing its stability
> * On-demand side tags (what Richard mentioned)

>From my understanding on the current plan for rawhide gating, it involves
on-demand side-tags for multi-package update in rawhide.
So that's two items in one :)

Yes, that would take care of the most obvious use case but I still thing they would be useful for large packages with complex dependencies, both from a single packager workflow but also for collaboration.

I don't want to update a package like FreeCAD just using buildroot overrides, one because it's cumbersome, but also I don't want others accidentally building against a package I might need to update or change, especially if it's someone else's.

To me the side tag lets you experiment in a somewhat contained environment until you get everything "right". Once I get it working I can approach the maintainer of the dependent packages and ask "Are you OK with me making these changes?"

Hopefully I explained that well enough... <goes to get more coffee>

Thanks,
Richard