Re: Proposal: Move Council Discuss List to Discourse

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 02:30:14PM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> * We'll need to look at making sure anything automated (e.g. Fedocal
> and Pagure) point to the new location

Yeah, actually, there's a thing there... in order for those automated
posts to work, we'd have to either enable starting threads by email (see
previous on fear of spam) or figure out some way to make them all be replies
to a single thread. I hadn't really deeply considered that.

I'm not sure about mixing announcements and discussion, and really having
tickets go to the list (either here or discourse) risks fragmenting the
conversation -- I don't have a good solution.

> * We should announce it a few weeks in advance (e.g. if the consensus
> is to make the move, let's say it will start on Nov 1) so as to
> hopefully minimize confusion
> * We should set an end date for the experiment (e.g. 2 months from the
> start date) and define success criteria so that we can agree on
> whether or not this experiment is successful

+1

> I'm a little concerned that Discourse won't scale well when there are
> many categories, but the only way to find out is to try.

Yeah. We just added subcategories, because that was definitely necessary.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>