Re: [marketing] Re: Do we want to promote Fedora as "Linux"? How *do* we want people to find us?

On 09/26/2017 09:42 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 11:52:39PM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>> I think cleaning up the metadata on our site and keeping content
>> fresh etc - these are good things. There's a good oppty here to clean
>> things up, make our message clearer, update things and maybe even
>> institute better processes / initiatives for keeping them fresh.
>> However, lacing our site with keywords and stuffing our page titles
>> with buzzwords to vy for the attention of a bot whose algorithm
>> changes daily is not ok. The core function of the website is to
>> communicate a readable message to humans, right? Let's not compromise
>> the consistent and coherent voice we've established....
>
> The core function of a website doesn't matter if people looking for it
> can't find it. As a case in point, people looking for "Fedora Media
> Writer" get
> https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2016/04/26/fedora-media-writer-the-fastest-way-to-create-live-usb-boot-media/
> as the first hit. That's at least associated with our sponsor and not
> entirely foreign, but I'd think we'd want
> https://fedoramagazine.org/make-fedora-usb-stick/ or even
> https://getfedora.org/workstation/download/ to outscore it.

Sure, like I said, using this as an opportunity to clean up / better the
metadata to improve those results is a great idea. I just want to make
sure we don't start working keywords unnaturally into the text or gaming
for territory that is too generic.

I would think the first step would be to come up with an inventory of
those things we want to ensure come up in the results - what are the
terms, and what pages do we want to appear prominently for them. Maybe a
good approach would be to come up with a task list of things we want
people to be able to do with the website(s), then test them and see what
users search for / how they approach it, and use that to develop the
inventory of keywords to optimize?

~m