Re: making https://github.com/fedoraproject official?

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 2:42 AM, Jan Kurik <jkurik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 12:48 AM, Brian Exelbierd <bex@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 6, 2017, at 08:04 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
>>> This is not a "let's move Fedora to github!" message.
>>>
>>> I think, though, we can do something better with
>>> <https://github.com/fedoraproject>. We already have presense on
>>> platforms like Facebook and Twitter, and I think this is a missed
>>> opportunity currently. Does anyone object to
>>>
>>> a) making this page official?
>>
>> Good. Let's make it an official redirect so it doesn't get camped on.
>
> Yes, this was my thought as well.

That's just useless, and it looks terrible.

If you're going to bother being on GitHub, put useful things there so
people can see that we do make interesting things. Just do the mirror
thing just like libvirt, GNOME, KDE, PLD Linux, and countless other
projects do. Just make sure to set in the description "Mirror of
<correct-url>. Contribute there."

Think of the target audience. If you just do a dumb redirect, no one
is going to bother.

>>> b) adding a brief blurb explaining the fedora project and pointing to
>>>    http://getfedora.org/
>>
>> And to pagure.
>
> I would prefer the Pagure instead of getfedora.org as Pagure aims to
> the same purpose as GitHub does.
> getfedora.org is more a hub to download already done stuff, where
> Pagure as well as GitHub is a collaborative space holding source
> codes/repositories.
>
> Regards,
> Jan
>
>>> c) possibly adding a document pointing to various Fedora-related stuff
>>>    that *is* on github?
>>
>> Yes. If we have stuff that is first-on github.

And of course, we should have a nice pointer to places where people
can do things, which includes projects on Pagure, GitHub, and GitLab.