Re: Updating the Fedora Project Mission

On 04/18/2017 01:23 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 7:17 AM, Josh Cox <jcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I also think "free" shouldn't be dropped from the mission statement. The "lights up hardware, clouds, and containers" part seems unnecessary to me, if the mission statement needs to be shortened.
>>
>> Perhaps something like this:
>> "Fedora creates a free and innovative platform for software developers and community members to build tailored solutions for their users."
>>
>> Even with those changes, I feel like the current mission statement does a better job of emphasizing the values of freedom, innovation, and community with fewer words.
>
> A mission statement's purpose is not to describe a project's values.
> It is to describe what the project is doing or working towards.  It
> should be measurable and finite, not open ended and impossible to
> measure.
>
> Fedora has the four foundations to describe our project values.
>
> josh

I think what might be confusing is the differentiation between the
technical and measurable aspects of the mission and the more open-ended
values ascribed to the community.

My guess as to why there has been a strong input to this specific point
about the inclusion of language about free and open source software is
that these things aren't mutually exclusive to our values or the mission
alone. In the case of free software, I see it from this angle:

* Software freedom is an important part of our community values that
motivates contributors to participate in the Fedora community.

* In achieving our technical goals and lighting up these platforms, it's
equally important to build the tailored solutions as it is to lead these
efforts to benefit a wider open source audience.[1]

I've avoided commenting on this thread so far to take time to think on
it, and now I do think including language that explicitly connects
Fedora's technical and strategic mission for growth and innovation to
the wider free and open source software world is important. From my
perspective, Fedora contributors have always embraced philosophies like
"upstream first" and promoting collaboration that goes beyond just our
community. This philosophy impacts our project goals and what we're
working on because it demonstrates that it's not just about Fedora, it's
about building better software, period.

Even though my guess is that "hardware, clouds, and containers" is
hoping to get at that point that it's beyond our own community and also
about building better software, these platforms aren't exclusively built
on FOSS, which is why the input is coming up about this specific point.

Even if it's difficult or challenging to figure out what we're supposed
to measure by including language to clearly establish a connection to
FOSS, it's something that I think both contributors and outside viewers
look for in Fedora's technical and strategic goals. And maybe this is
something you measure long-term too. Examples that stand out to me are
Wayland, systemd, and GNOME 3, to name a few… :)

To sum it up, I do see a benefit to clearly connecting Fedora's mission
statement to the wider free and open source software mission, because
this feels like something that's valuable from a technical standpoint as
much as it is to our core values as a community.

Just my 2¢.

~~~

[1] Even if this is what the intent behind the current proposed draft is
(which I think it is), I don't think it's interpreted that way
universally, and including language that establishes the connection to
free and open source software removes doubt.

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory