Re: Signature Events Strategy for 2017 (Part II: FUDCon)

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 01:26 PM, Zamir SUN wrote:

> [...]
> > another of my emails today) but the FUDCon processes are not heavily
> > started, as far as I can tell.
> >
> > Additionally,  while history is important, I think it is equally
> > important that we  consider what we want to accomplish today and in the
> > next few years, not  just what we tried to accomplish in the past.
> > Therefore, I've written this without too much reference to what is being
> > changed and instead as  an idea of what we should be doing.  I look
> > forward to folks bringing forward suggestions for continuing activities
> > from the past or better incorporating lessons learned that I may have
> > missed.
> >
> > I look forward to your feedback and input.
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > bex
> >
> > # FUDCon
> >
> > As mentioned above, I attended both FUDCons in 2016.  These are the only
> > two FUDCons that I have ever attended.  I was told by attendees at both
> > events that while every event is different, these two were fairly
> > typical in the areas I was concerned with.
> >
> > FUDCons have been described to me as being for Fedora Users and
> > Developers (hence the name).  What is never clear from the people I've
> > talked to is what kind of users they think are targeted and whether the
> > developers are "developers who use Fedora" or "people who develop
> > (contribute to) Fedora."  Both events this year were held in partnership
> > with Universities.  Both had large attendances on the first day,
> > typically when students were incentivized to show up by their faculty
> > and poor attendance on the non-incentive days.  It was unclear that many
> > people took a lot away from the conference or that there would be
> > significant follow up activity.  These comments are not to single out
> > the organizers for these FUDCons.  They all worked very hard and pulled
> > off very good events.  I just didn't get a feeling that the events had a
> > lot of impact and changed much in the short or long term.
> >
> > I believe that for our investment of time, energy, and money in FUDCons
> > to be successful, the goals of these events must be clarified.
> >
> > ## Structure
> >
> > I believe we need to remove some of the restrictions we place on  these
> > events, chiefly on where and how often they can be held.  Therefore, I
> > believe we should simply state that FUDCons can be held anywhere in the
> > world and any number of times that is appropriate.  This means that we
> > can have FUDCons in places like EMEA and NA (which helps to relieve
> > pressure on Flock).
> Hi Brain,
>
> IIRC, formerly we have FUDCons all over the four region. Sometime around
> 2014 FUDCon NA and FUDCon EMEA switched to FLOCK while FUDCon APAC and
> FUDCon LATAM remain still. So if you really mean add FUDCon back to EMEA
> and NA, that is clearly an additional of event. With the current budget
> status, I wonder if it will make some current events hard.

If we have smaller events with less travel we can do more with the same
money.  Also, if we show impact we may be able to attract additional
budget or sponsorship.

> [...]
> > quantitative, it can be qualitative, but you need to have thought
> > through how you know you were a success.
> > * Why should we hold a FUDCon in this specific city?
> > * How will you ensure you attract the right audience and that they are
> > engaged?  What preparatory activities need to happen?  How will those
> > happen?  What follow up activities are needed? How will those happen?
> > * If this FUDCon is collocated, why is this conference or event the
> > right one to collocate with?  If this FUDCon is not collocated, why is
> > an independent event better?
> >
> > ## Programming
> >
> > Programming for FUDCons is extremely important.  In 2016 one event was
> > run as a Bar Camp and the other was run as a programmed event at a Bar
> > Camp.  While Bar Camp voting should result in the conference that people
> > want to attend, that also means that the speakers need to be talking
> > about topics that matter to the audience.  In the case of a programmed
> > event, this is also critical.
> >
> > Therefore programming at FUDCons should be based on the goals and target
> > audience, not just based on which Fedora contributors want to attend.
> > Ideally the proposal should include the kinds of topics that will be
> > presented and even a provisional list of speakers who will be
> > approached.
> >
> > ## Funded Attendance and Costs
> >
> > To increase the number of activities, we should cleanly divorce FUDCons
> > from Regional FADs.  FUDCons are necessarily a reason to fly in
> > contributors from all over a region or the world.  Let's keep them
> > locally focused.  Depending on the goals and target audience all of the
> > speakers do not even need to be Fedora contributors.  For example, a
> > non-Fedora contributor speaking about Eclipse (on Fedora) at a developer
> > focused FUDCon may make a lot of sense.
> >
> > Therefore I believe that budgets should trend toward the smaller side
> > with an emphasis on impact being directly related to budget size.  To
> > give some (highly contrived) examples, a +1 day event for FOSDEM may
> > have a large budget because the event needs good publicity to draw the
> > huge attendance opportunity from those attending FOSDEM.  A +1 day event
> > for DevConf.cz may have a small budget because we have a friendly
> > environment for advertising and a ton of local contributors to help with
> > programming.  A +1 day event for FISL may need a medium size budget
> > because of the need to fly in Spanish speaking presenters for some
> > sessions.  (These are just examples, don't read into them.)
> I think this really differs case by case. For some areas like Beijing of
> China, venue are costly, usually a big main hall costs at least USD 1000
> per day. For FUDCon APAC 2014 (Beijing) we luckily find some complex
> workaround to reduce the costs of venue. And by holding together with
> GNOME in parallel the venue costs is shared, which results in a better
> condition. If we make it +1 day style, we may not afford the main hall

This is where the knowledge of what works in a region should be applied.
 If +1 days are not good for China, then we shouldn't force them to be
done in China.  That doesn't mean we should force other regions not to
do them though if they work there.  This also means that we need to
think about China as China and not as the "representation of all things
APAC solely because we decided the one and only event will be held
there."

regards,

bex