FPL's 2016 in Review: Part II (things I wanted from 2016)

Okay, Fedora 2016-look back, part two!

At the beginning of 2016, I listed several things I thought were
important and hoped would make substantial progress. How did that go?
It went okay. :)

Let's start with "Fedora Atomic becomes a top-level Edition." So,
https://getfedora.org/atomic/ — Ahah! A success. This is particularly cool
because it's a whole new way for Fedora to deliver software, both with the
ostree concept and with the two-week (mostly) automatic release process.
Thanks and congratulations to everyone working on this.

Another thing I emphasized was Fedora Hubs. Background: while Fedora is
incredibly active project with thousands of people contributing every year
and hundreds of people interacting every day, our web presence looks very
static. Hubs is an idea to bring that all to light, to provide a better
modern face for the project and an engagement point for the next generation
of contributors *and* to be a useful tool to existing Fedora subprojects.

There is progress on this, but slowly. With everything we have going on, I'm
told that the Fedora Apps team won't have a lot of time to make this more
than a back-burner project for 2017. If you're a web developer and
would like to help with a major project, let's talk and see what we can make
happen. Otherwise, this is going to remain a future dream. (I have some
short-term ideas... but that's for the next message.)

Next: initiatives for Project Growth. I had hoped to see a new "FOSCo"
organization and revamped ambassadors and marketing. Despite some heroic
efforts, this didn't happen. At the end of the year, we decided that the
incoming FAmSCo should not worry about the wider picture, and instead focus
on restructuring the Ambassadors program — with a broad charter from the
Council to change whatever needs changing. The Council will take up the
bigger issue of tying together marketing and strategy, and we'll look at how
Ambassadors fit into that.

And finally, modularization — now "Modularity". This is ... well, mostly
sucessful and on track. We'll have some more demos at DevConf.cz, and the
plan is still on track for an experimental branch of Fedora Server composed
in this way. That will give us something people can really kick around, and
that's when it's going to get interesting.

Next up (and, at this point, next week!): things I think are important
in 2017. (And I'd really like to hear all of your thoughts on this
too.)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>