Re: [board] #12: Fedora Council Charter Draft: collect concerns for revisions in preparation for vote

#12: Fedora Council Charter Draft: collect concerns for revisions in preparation
for vote
------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  mattdm      |       Owner:  mattdm

Comment (by mattdm):

 Replying to [comment:5 gholms]:
 > I also like this draft.  I have a few nitpicks/clarifications/questions
 that we can iron out as we go, but they aren't enough to be worth holding
 things up right now.  If you're interested, here they are:

 Cool, thanks. Might as well work on the polish while we're here.

 > 1.  The Responsibilities section should be consistent about whether the
 project has sponsors or a sponsor.

 Previous Board doc used "sponsor(s)", which I guess we could too, or
 "sponsor or sponsors". Practically speaking, we have just the one right
 now but it might be nice to leave the language open.

 > 1.  I think the point-by-point bit with the Council's responsibilities
 can simply be deleted.

 Done. I moved the two lines that weren't covered in the other text to the
 intro -- stewardship of the project as a whole and health and growth of
 the community.

 > 1.  The Engineering and Outreach Leads should be called Representatives
 to preclude confusion and keep things consistent.

 Okay, with two people saying that I'm going to go ahead and do that.

 > 1.  Keep the two different types of limited voting positions together.
 For example, this order reads a little nicer:
 >   * Representatives
 >   * Appointed Leaders
 >   * Auxiliary Seats
 >   * Objective-specific Seats

 Let me see how that looks. I intentional put the objective-specific seats
 first to emphasize them.

 > 1.  Who selects the Diversity Adviser and Program Manager, and how?

 I think in both cases, suitability for the role is a little different from
 the rest, where finding someone really excellent for the job may be
 different from finding someone with accumulated merit within the project.
 For the Program Manager, I think it's "Red Hat hire, with council
 approval". (If Red Hat hires someone who can't work with the council, it's
 a non-starter, so might as well say so.) And right now, it is specifically
 Jaroslav, who is both hired in that way _and_ who has a lot of actual
 practical project merit, so... yeah. The Diversity Advisor is in some ways
 an extension of the existing administrator of our involvement in OPW and
 other programs. Máirín Duffy does that right now, and if she's willing to
 increase that responsibility (I talked to her briefly about it) I think
 that'd be awesome; if not, or for future selections, I think a search
 committee appointed by the council is appropriate. (This is not a paid
 position at this point; I am talking to our-sponsor-singular about ways in
 which the company can support this role.)

--
Ticket URL: <https://fedorahosted.org/board/ticket/12#comment:6>
board <https://fedorahosted.org/board>