Re: [board] #12: Fedora Council Charter Draft: collect concerns for revisions in preparation for vote

On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 08:28:41PM -0400, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MatthewMiller/council-draft
> "The previous structure had five members directly appointed by Red Hat and
> five elected at large. The current structure is more complicated but has a
> much greater proportion of members selected by the community by election or
> merit."
> Don't see how.  Earlier it was 5 (appointed) vs 5 (elected).  This proposal
> is 2 (elected) vs 4 (appointed), right?  What am I missing?

>From the bottom of the page:

     6 members with full voting:
        2 appointed by community for engineering and outreach project areas,
        2 elected by community at large, and
        2 appointed and paid by Red Hat (FPL and FCAI).

    4-6 members with binding votes in areas related to their role:
        2-4 appointed by the Council.
        1 hired by Red Hat, and
        1 appointed by the Council (possibly using a selection committee)

I'm not sure which of those your "2 (elected) vs 4 (appointed)" are.

Additionally, as we discussed in the IRC board meeting (see
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2014-09-29/board.2014-09-29-17.00.html)
the new decision-making process focuses on voice, and discussion and
listening when there are differences of opinion. That gives considerably
more weight to both the elected and merit-based representative positions.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>