Re: representative council roles [was Re: [board] #9: board vote on reorganization proposals]

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 03:23:48PM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Say we had a group of 9 permanent members I propose the following
> permanent representatives (in no particular order)
>      1. Workstation WG
>      2. Server WG
>      3. Cloud WG
>      4. FESCo
>      5. FAmSCO
>      6. QA
>      7. Infrastructure
>      8. Release Engineering
>      9. Marketing
> And of course the FPL.
> If you are wondering why marketing is in here and think it's
> over-represented: I think we definitely want the marketing team to
> become more important.

If I were to separate all of the Fedora groups into broad buckets, they'd be
something like "Outreach", "Building", and, uh.... "Liberal Arts".

"Outreach" is ambassadors, marketing, support — largely stuff that happens
between us and the world, and the distro cycle is largely a source of fuel,
not the thing that's worked on.

"Building" is all of the stuff to actually put together and release the
distro. That's everything under FESCo, the working groups, packagers, FPC,
and also QA and release engineering.

And then there's the category of things which aren't directly *in* the
release but are crucial parts of the project overall — design, docs,
websites, infrastructure, Fedora applications, l10n, security, etc.

We could quibble a little bit about whether some of those things are in the
wrong bucket, but I don't want to — I'm not meaning this to be science.

Overall, I think the list you gives represents the first two pretty well
(particularly with both ambassadors and marketing having a representative).
But I think the rest are kind of underrepresented — in a part of your
message I elided, you put them in "Auxiliary Members". I'm not saying that's
necessarily the wrong way, but I wonder if they should have a stronger
voice. That could either be by having more primary members, or perhaps by
collapsing some of the above.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>