Re: Summary/Minutes from Today's Board Meeting (2014-07-21)

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 10:49:33PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> [...]
>  board's job to push back if they want to use something that is dangerous or
>  counter to ideals
> 17:25:37 <inode0> This isn't something the board needs to decide if the
>  translation folks sort it out as they are doing really.
> 17:25:51 <mattdm> inode0 yes, that seems to be my thought, exactly.
>
> To be clear; I'm fine with the board staying out of this if they feel
> translation has it under control. But I can't help but think that how this
> change happened was strange.
>
> Transifex has been effectively proprietary for almost two years [1]. It was
> confirmed as such 16 months ago [2], and I recall being in some discussions
> about it around or after that timeframe, although I don't have a link.
>
> So... why was this not an issue for translation until now? Were they merely
> not aware? If the defining thing that made it not fit-for-purpose was the
> hosted service not being F/OSS (as seems to be the case), is there some
> effort that should be taken forth to monitor such things?
>
> And if this lack of open-sourceness is a bright-line issue for
> Fedora-related activities, why draw the line here, and no further?  Zanata
> is, after all, hosted on github.  While it would certainly be
> self-immolating to refuse any random upstream piece of software that may be
> developed or hosted in ways that are not considered fully 'free', it's
> not as if Zanata has any development community outside of Fedora's chief
> sponsor. Or, more closely - Fedora infrastructure uses github as well.
> Fedora design has had flickr and deviantart groups. We've had Google
> hangouts at FUDCons. We *shut down* Fedora Talk, rather than expand it.
>
> To look at it in terms of our foundations, re: building open source software
> communities:
>
>   The community includes current and potential or future contributors. Our
>   outreach begins with our free distribution, and we constantly develop ways
>   to give collaborators additional on-ramps for participation.
>
>   Do as much of the development work as possible staying close to upstream
>   projects. We promote upstream communities by collaborating on patches,
>   providing the latest upstream versions for our development and testing
>   branches wherever possible, and making sure upstream products work
>   consistently and well in our stable releases.
>
> Do we collaborate better by using the services where our upstreams may lie,
> regardless of the 'freedom level' of their implementation status, or do we
> collaborate better by forcing them to come into our playground on our terms,
> such as by tying translations to Fedora accounts and Fedora infrastructure.
>
> Now, if we're willing to say that our commitment to open-source software
> trumps our commitment to how we build and expand communities and
> collaboration, then yes, Transifex would fall short.  But then I'd say
> github for directly Fedora-associated projects would fall short too.

On one hand, if the L10n team decides that question in favor of
freedom, it seems odd to me that the Board would seek to back that
decision out, unless migrating Zanata put an unreasonable cost on
other teams.

On the other hand, though, it seems to me we're talking about
sacrificing the potentially higher community involvement that we get
from a service like github (which seems to have all the eyeballs of
open source aficionados).

> But I'm not sure that's right - if we intend to foster communities and grow
> collaboration in all areas, we need to go where those communities are.  That
> might mean translating in a wider community at Transifex.  That might mean
> collaborating with other developers on github (or bitbucket, or...).  That
> might mean having development discussions via Hangouts, posting the
> resulting videos to YouTube. It might mean broadcasting our announcements
> on Twitter. It might mean advertising events on meetup.com, and presenting
> at other events hosted there.

Related: To what extent we can query, capture or use information from
these sources (github, Transifex) to discover and take advantage of
community building opportunities?  Is it possible to e.g. give badges
based on work there, using some sort of connector/proxy/etc.?  (Asked
the non-webdevmonkey.)

> Again - I don't want to change whatever decisions the translators have made.
> But I wonder if doing this sudden switch based solely on the year-late
> discovery of Transifex's status sets some sort of precedent (that we don't follow
> elsewhere) where we sacrifice our goals of building broader communities in
> favor of an 'only F/OSS' stance.

Also important is to what extent this decision was driven by problems
within the translation teams, and how those problems happened.  Cited
over the last couple years were issues with translating documentation.
Of course, the tools for building documentation are driven by folks in
Red Hat's documentation teams.  So their presumably better integration
with Zanata, which translators have been using for some (most? all)
Fedora docs, is no surprise.

If this decision were being driven over the objections of active
translators, I'd be really uneasy about the motivations (and I suspect
others would, too).  It's hard to argue, though, when the discussion
on the trans@ list seems to be mainly supportive of migrating to
Zanata, although it's not a massive discussion.  I don't know whether
active translators are active on the trans@ list, vs. geo-community
specific lists.

It does trouble me that Transifex is probably the one thing out there
in the larger world we in Fedora can point to and say: "That's a
success story for Fedora, in the project's role as an incubator for
ideas that *don't* have to come from our sponsor."  So moving away
from it, while it probably has little effect on Transifex's success,
makes Fedora seem somewhat petty (and possibly hypocritical as may be
implied above).

> (As to Dmitris's suggestion of a cost/benefit analysis, I would find it naive
> to think the Fedora board can cause Fedora to switch to something other than
> the platform written and maintained by Red Hat i18n engineering and used by
> RH L10N for other projects; the cost/benefit analysis that would drive such
> a discussion would not be factoring the cost to non-RH translators in general.)

On the other hand, it's not clear to me that every project internal to
Fedora is being proposed to move to Zanata as a requirement.  There
certainly doesn't seem to be a lot of win in it for developers whose
projects are being translated well in Transifex.

However, if it turns out that those translations are largely being
done by teams and individuals that would rather be using Zanata, then
developers could be in for a surprise, and that wouldn't be good.