Re: What is success for Fedora?

On 3 July 2014 02:16, Christian Schaller <cschalle@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Stephen John Smoogen" <smooge@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: "Fedora community advisory board" <board-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> We will hopefully be better able to measure usage of
> workstation/server/cloud/everything better in the next release if each
> release will give some indication to yum or dnf that the person is updating
> from that 'platform'.

Well I don't think we will ever find a perfect and 100% accurate measure,

I agree on that. I would prefer that we have some things that can be 'certainty'

so what we would need to do instead is pick a set of indicators to watch
like a combination of overall tracked Fedora product downloads during a release series,

For your future reference,  product downloads is a bad indicator. Most of our downloads are via mirrors which we can't track. The main download server is usually 60-80% mirrors, 5-15% development downloads for various machs and kojis out there.. and I am guessing the rest is direct downloads but it is hard to say. The only thing we can track is yum updates as they pull various meta-data from the proxies.. Even then it is noisy and you have to choose which filters to use to possibly clean out noise.

pick a few conferences to poll the attendees about operating system usage (JBoss
and OpenStack conferences could possibly be good choices while GUADEC, Akademy
or Flock would likely be bad choices :)) and Google trends for example. So none

Get this done by a third party and you should be golden. Doing pools/surveys with your own people brings in so many biases and problems that the data isn't worth the time it took to get. [Sorry too much psychology training on this..]

of them would give us a 100% accurate answer, but combined we should be able to
at least detect trends from them.

Of course the exact indicator composition would wary a bit between the 3 products.

Christian

Stephen J Smoogen.