Re: Fedora Plasma Product, feedback please

On 26 March 2014 10:11, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2014-03-25 at 14:29 -0500, inode0 wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Rex Dieter <rdieter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The KDE SIG would like public comment and feedback on a new Fedora.next
> > product proposal:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Plasma_Product
> >
> > mostly on the base proposal, Governance and PRD bits.  Other stuff like
> > Technical spec are still undergoing polish.
>
> I went from pretty excited initially to a bit disappointed that the
> PRD seems to mostly be snipped from the Workstation PRD. I was hoping
> for something with a more original vision I guess. So my first comment
> really is meant to encourage the Fedora Plasma Product to create more
> separation between itself and the Workstation Product. Two products
> with a very similar vision I suspect will be a hard sell generally.

I agree with this paragraph.

A product should really have a distinct use case (or cases) that it is
trying to address. Something like 'Fedora media center' or 'Fedora
kiosk' would be an excellent addition to the product lineup. If we take
the workstation specs and just s/G/K/ or s/G/X/, we end up back in the
place we were with spins - too much choice, and too little
differentiation.

Could a unified consensus of what is wanted in products please be presented by the Board to potential groups? Round 1 seems to have been "Here use these accepted PRD's and communication as a guideline for what we want." Round 2 seems to be "Don't use these accepted PRD's and communication as a guideline of what we want."

I realize that this new all around and 'We know what we like when we finally see it." but  a little help might make this not a daily exercise of frustration.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.