Re: Proposal: Revision of policy surrounding 3rd party and non-free software

On 22 January 2014 14:10, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 12:30 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
.

Your wiki search inspired me.  I did one of my own.  I found pages
that have existed since 2008 that mention 3rd party repositories:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Third_party_repositories

We also have one that explicitly tells you how to install Adobe flash,
which is non-free software:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash (created in 2011)

These are top-level wiki pages.  They are hosted on the Fedora
project's website.  There are others.

I do not doubt for a second that Fedora's objectives and principles
are to promote Free software.  However, saying that a utility that
searches for and enables specific 3rd party repositories that we
already point to on our own wiki is against the very being of Fedora
seems disingenuous at best.

Not to me. One is at best telling you that if you would like to look for these things, there is a restaurant down the street you can go to pick up your veal. The other is saying "I know we are a vegan restaurant, but we have a fellow who goes down the street and picks up the veal you wanted. "

josh

Stephen J Smoogen.