Re: Proposal: Revision of policy surrounding 3rd party and non-free software

On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 13:37 -0500, Christian Schaller wrote:

> Our influence with the rest of the world and promoting freedom rests on us having users and obviously the
> way we have been building Fedora and the policies around Fedora used so far is not giving us that.

This is the bit of the movie where the background music turns ominous
and the hero is offered a choice: stick to his principles and tough it
out, or accept the apparently small compromise in one little corner of
his value set which will allow him to spread the rest of that value set
to the world. Right?

I think we've all seen how those movies end.

I would like it on the record that I consider Fedora's current values -
specifically, our *commitment to* (not just *preference for*) libre
software - an immense social and technical good, I am strongly committed
to those values, I am strongly opposed to this change (defined as 'any
change which leads to the seamless availability of non-libre software in
Fedora products'), and I might have to re-consider my work on Fedora if
this change were to be approved.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey