Re: FUDcon Board Meeting

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 01/16/2012 02:30 AM, David Nalley wrote:
>
>> == DuckDuckGo proposals: ==
>>
>> 1 - ship search engine plugin
>> 2 - default for the above
>> 3 - use ddg for start.fp.o as well.
>>
>> Proposal: 1-2 is a maintainer issue - please file in bugzilla. 3 is a
>> websites issue - file on their trac.
>> The board itself has no opinion on the matter
>
> That's disappointing.  I would have thought this is more than a simply a
> maintainer issue.  I think this is a place where the board can and IMO
> should take a principled position.  It directly related to the Fedora vision
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Vision_statement
>

>From my POV the move in question doesn't necessarily achieve anything
in the vision or further Fedora's goals.

This isn't a case of the board skipping out on it's responsibility
IMO, but rather the board trying to stay out of the way and not
wanting to micromanage every last decision to be made. Fedora is a
place where individuals are empowered to make things happen, and
generally don't need permission to get things done. While I can
appreciate that folks want sanction, I'd far rather them take things
up on their own.

--David
speaking only for myself.