Re: New trademark approval policy

on 08/02/2011 01:53 AM David Nalley wrote:
There's also OEM pre-loads, and virtual images or appliances with
unmodified Fedora software, for which permission has been granted.
These, at least according to my reading, can contain any combination
of software which exists in Fedora's repositories, and can be
generated in virtually any method that works.
This reading is the result of bad drafting on the trademark guidelines (my bad).  The intention was that we will allow the use of unmodified software approved as an authentic "Fedora" product in ways that are analogous to creating a copy of a DVD, but just in a different distribution environment.  It was not the intention that the rules allow anyone to create a new combination of software and call it "Fedora" without approval.  No one but Fedora Board should be deciding what collection of software may bear the brand "Fedora."

If we need special spins for virt because the installation process causes problems that will reflect badly on Fedora, that's a Board decision too and would need to change the guidelines to reflect the decision.

Pam
--
Pamela S. Chestek
Senior IP Attorney