Re: Discussion regarding Community Working Group and/or Ombudsman

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Jared K. Smith
<jsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Now that the Fedora Board has formally accepted the documents prepared
> by the Community Working Group regarding a code of conduct and the
> enforcement of the code of conduct, I'd like to start a discussion
> regarding the longer-term role of the Community Working Group.  While
> the enforcement of the code of conduct (particularly in serious
> circumstances) should take place at the Board level, I think there's
> general agreement that it might be helpful to have a person or group
> dedicated to helping mediate conflicts and referring cases to the
> Fedora Board as necessary.  That group could be the CWG, an elected
> ombudsman, or something else.
>
> What would you like to see?

I don't really think without a more clearly defined set of
responsibilities for such a group there can be much sensible
discussion of its composition. You mention a mediation role but I
could imagine the CWG taking on a broader function than just dispute
mediation. One of keeping an eye on the overall health of the
community and one of intervening in problem pockets before there is a
big fuss that escalates out of control. One of taking action to help
foster healthy communities as opposed to one of reacting to problems
after the fact. Something to think about in addition to dispute
mediation maybe?

John